Aqaba, Jordan: A Budget-Friendly Vacation
Are you searching for an exciting travel destination that won't break the bank?
Look no further than Aqaba, Jordan! Surrounded by magnificent landscapes and endless stretches of sandy beaches, this city offers an authentic experience of the Middle East that won't burn a hole in your pocket.
Whether you're a history buff, a scuba diving enthusiast, or simply seeking a relaxing getaway, Aqaba has something for everyone. With its fascinating culture, captivating scenery, and budget-friendly prices, Aqaba is the ultimate vacation destination for those looking to explore new horizons without stretching their budgets too thin.
Join me as we dive into the world of Aqaba, Jordan, and discover all the amazing things this city offers.
A brief overview of Aqaba
Aqaba, Jordan, is a hidden gem for budget-conscious travellers. This beach resort town sits on the shores of the stunning Red Sea, offering a unique blend of city life, nature, and history. With its friendly locals, seafood cafés, and a waterfront promenade, Aqaba has become a pleasant leisure destination in recent years.
The town has seen substantial investment, with new hotels and waterfront developments along the coast. Aqaba is particularly known for its incredible diving and snorkelling opportunities, as the nearby coral reefs are teeming with aquatic life. While not particularly grand, the city centre offers a charming network of streets and alleyways just a stone's throw away from the beautiful beaches and the Red Sea.
Aqaba also serves as a gateway to nearby attractions, such as the ancient city of Petra and the breathtaking desert landscape of Wadi Rum. Accessible by land, air, and sea, Aqaba is well-connected and easy to reach.
Reasons to visit Aqaba
Aqaba is a hidden gem that offers numerous reasons to visit.
- Tax-free shopping: Aqaba is a shopper's paradise, with tax-free sales on everything from local crafts to luxury items.
- World-class dining: Aqaba is a haven for food lovers, with world-class restaurants serving fresh seafood.
- Fantastic diving: The town's close proximity to the Red Sea offers fantastic diving opportunities, with clear waters and vibrant marine life.
- Convenient location: Aqaba is conveniently located near Petra and Wadi Rum, making it an ideal base for exploring these historical and natural wonders.
- Safe and relaxed atmosphere: Aqaba offers a safe and relaxed atmosphere, with friendly locals who welcome visitors with open arms.
- Winter break: The town is also a perfect destination for those seeking a winter break, as it boasts warm weather and stunning beaches.
- Gateway to culture: Aqaba's close proximity to Egypt and Israel makes it a gateway to even more cultural experiences.
- Wide range of accommodations: With its booming tourist industry, Aqaba offers a wide range of accommodations, from international luxury hotels to budget-friendly options.
Budget-friendly attributes of Aqaba
Aqaba, Jordan, is a budget-friendly vacation destination.
- Accommodation: Aqaba has a range of budget-friendly hotels and hostels, providing comfortable stays at affordable prices. Several hostels cater to budget travellers, offering shared rooms and communal spaces. For those looking for a unique experience, there are also tented camps and accommodations in the desert that provide a budget-friendly option for lodging.
- Transportation: Getting around Aqaba is also affordable, with cost-effective modes of transportation available. Local transportation options, such as taxis and buses, offer affordable fares for getting around the city and exploring nearby attractions. For those looking to save even more money, renting bikes or walking are great options for exploring the city and enjoying the sights leisurely.
- Dining: Aqaba has plenty of cheap eats and street food options that won't break the bank. From delicious local dishes to international cuisine, there is something to suit every budget and taste.
- Free activities: Aqaba also offers a range of free things to do, allowing travellers to enjoy the city's attractions without spending a dime. From exploring historic sites and museums to relaxing at the beautiful beaches, there are plenty of free activities to keep visitors entertained.
Aqaba is a budget-friendly vacation destination that offers affordable accommodation, cost-effective transportation options, cheap eats, free activities, and much more. With its stunning natural beauty and rich history, Aqaba is the perfect place to plan a budget-friendly trip. 
Aqaba budget-friendly hotels and hostels
There are plenty of budget-friendly accommodation options in Aqaba, Jordan. From hotels and hostels to tented camps in the desert, there is something for everyone in Aqaba that won't break the bank.
Some popular budget-friendly hotels in Aqaba include:
- Jardaneh Hotel
- Cedar Hotel
- Red Sea Dive Center - Hotel & Dive Center
- Darna Village Beach Hotel
- Golden Tulip Aqaba
- My Luxury Hotel
These hotels offer clean and cozy rooms with essential amenities at reasonable prices.
For those looking for a more budget-friendly option, hostels in Aqaba are a great choice. These hostels provide shared dormitory-style accommodations at affordable rates, making them perfect for solo travelers or backpackers on a budget.
There are also several tented camps and accommodations in the desert near Aqaba, which offer a unique and budget-friendly experience for adventurous travellers.
Aqaba offers a wide range of budget-friendly accommodations that cater to different preferences and travel styles. Whether you prefer a hotel, hostel, or a tented camp, there is something for everyone in Aqaba that won't break the bank.
Hostels in Aqaba
Hostels in Aqaba are a great option for budget-conscious travellers exploring this beautiful coastal city. With costs starting from just $7, they offer a cheap and convenient way to stay in Aqaba without compromising comfort.
There are ten hostels in Aqaba, each offering unique charm and amenities. For example, Peace Roza is a popular choice among travellers, offering free Wi-Fi, a terrace, and complimentary toiletries. It is conveniently located near attractions such as Al-Hafayer Beach and Aqaba Flagpole, making it easy to explore the area.
Another great option is Alamer 2 Aqaba Beach Hostel on King Hussein Street. It has a rating of 7.7 and provides an affordable accommodation option for visitors. With its prime beachfront location, guests can enjoy stunning views and easy access to the city's vibrant atmosphere.
Choosing a hostel in Aqaba helps travellers save money but also provides a chance to meet fellow adventurers from around the world. It's a great opportunity to share travel tips, stories, and experiences, creating lasting memories.
Whether you're a solo traveller or on a tight budget, hostels in Aqaba offer a comfortable and affordable stay. Don't miss out on exploring this captivating city without breaking the bank. Book your hostel in Aqaba today and embark on a budget-friendly adventure. 
Tented camps and accommodations in the desert
Tented camps and accommodations in the desert are a popular and budget-friendly option for visitors to Aqaba, Jordan. These camps offer a unique and immersive experience, allowing travellers to connect with the stunning natural beauty of the desert landscape.
One highly recommended tented camp is the Wadi Rum Bedouin Camp. Situated within the Wadi Rum Protected Area, this private camp offers a range of accommodation options, from traditional Bedouin-style tents to small private tents with beds, blankets, and pillows for added comfort and privacy. Families are also welcome, with family-style tents available.
The camp provides essential facilities such as toilets and showers, with hot water available. Guests can enjoy breathtaking sunset views from the camp's rocky outcropping, creating an unforgettable desert experience. The owner, Mohammed Hamad, and his family are known for their warm hospitality and willingness to share local culture and traditions with guests.
In addition to the Wadi Rum Bedouin Camp, other luxury camps are available in the area. These camps offer rooms equipped with beds, air conditioning (a must for the desert climate), tea/coffee facilities, and other amenities to ensure a comfortable stay.
Overall, staying in a tented camp or accommodation in the desert provides an affordable and memorable experience in Aqaba, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the region's natural wonders. 
Getting around Aqaba
Getting around Aqaba is relatively easy and budget-friendly, thanks to the various transportation options.
- If you're travelling from Amman, you can take a plane, hire a private driver, or opt for a bus. The best option for you will depend on your budget and time constraints.
- If you want to explore other popular destinations in Jordan, like Petra or Wadi Rum, before reaching Aqaba, you can easily reach the port city by private car or as part of a tour. This allows you to see more of the country while saving money on transportation.
- Once you're in Aqaba, getting around the city is a breeze. Walking and renting bikes are cost-effective options that allow you to explore at your own pace. Additionally, taxis and shuttle services offered by hotels and hostels can help you reach popular sites and attractions.
Overall, Aqaba offers a variety of convenient and affordable transportation options, making it easy for budget-conscious travellers to get around and explore everything this beautiful port city has to offer. 
Cost-effective modes of transportation
There are several cost-effective modes of transportation in Aqaba, Jordan, that can make your trip budget-friendly.
- Organized transfers and guided tours are offered by companies such as Suliman Tours, Transfers and Tours Jordan, and Protocol Travel. These companies offer affordable and reliable services, whether you're looking for a transfer to your hotel or a guided tour of the city's attractions.
- Taxis are also available in Aqaba but are more commonly found in bigger cities. Taxes can be a good option if you're looking for a more adventurous and independent way to get around.
- Renting bikes or simply walking are two other great ways to explore Aqaba at a slower pace and save some money. Not only will you be able to explore the city at your leisure, but you'll also get a chance to immerse yourself in the local culture and catch glimpses of hidden gems that might not be accessible by other means of transportation.
No matter which mode of transportation you choose, Aqaba offers plenty of cost-effective options that will allow you to make the most of your budget-friendly vacation. So, start planning your trip to this beautiful coastal city, where adventure, affordability, and unforgettable experiences await. 
Renting bikes or walking
Renting bikes or walking is a fantastic way to explore Aqaba and a budget-friendly option for travellers. Aqaba offers bicycles for rent at various hotels, making it convenient to hop on and start your adventure. Whether you want to cycle along the coastline or explore the city streets, renting a bike allows you to enjoy the sights at your own pace.
If you prefer a slower pace, walking is another great option. Aqaba is a relatively small city, and many main attractions and amenities are within walking distance. Strolling through the streets allows you to immerse yourself in the local culture and take in the vibrant atmosphere.
Both biking and walking allow you to fully appreciate the stunning coastal views and natural beauty that Aqaba has to offer. From the crystal-clear waters of the Red Sea to the breathtaking mountain landscapes, every step or pedal stroke brings you closer to the wonders of this charming city.
Moreover, choosing to rent a bike or walk saves you money and allows you to stay active and enjoy the fresh air. It's a fun and eco-friendly way to explore Aqaba while sticking to your budget.
So, whether you rent a bike or prefer to explore on foot, Aqaba offers plenty of unforgettable adventures. Get ready to embark on a budget-friendly journey, immersing yourself in the beauty and culture of this incredible destination. 
Food and Beverages
Cheap eats and street food
Aqaba has plenty to offer regarding budget-friendly eats and street food. From traditional Jordanian dishes to international cuisine, there is something for everyone's taste buds.
- Al Shami Restaurant is one of the most famous spots in Aqaba, known for its delicious falafel sandwiches and flavourful hummus.
- Pizzeria del Corso is a great option if you're craving Italian food, with its variety of pizzas and pasta dishes.
- Aurjwan Cafe & Restaurant offers a wide range of Mediterranean dishes in a relaxing atmosphere.
If you're looking for a quick and affordable meal, try the street food options in Aqaba. From shawarma to falafel, street vendors offer delicious food at reasonable prices. Don't miss the opportunity to try kunafeh, a cheese-filled pistachio dessert favourite among locals.
When dining out in Aqaba, trust the reviews and recommendations from fellow travellers. They can help you find the best places to eat while sticking to your budget. With some research and a willingness to explore, you can enjoy tasty meals without breaking the bank in Aqaba.
Activities and Sights
Free things to do in Aqaba
Plenty of free things to do in Aqaba, Jordan, will make your budget-friendly trip even more enjoyable.
- Explore the old town. Stroll through Aqaba's old town, where you can immerse yourself in the local culture and interact with the friendly locals. The winding streets are filled with small shops and traditional souks, offering a wide range of goods from local Jordanian souvenirs to clothing and incense stalls. Don't forget to negotiate prices to get the most authentic souk experience.
- Indulge your sweet tooth. Aqaba has a variety of pastry and sweet shops where you can try delicious Arab sweets. Visit popular spots like Mouneh Sweets and Al Tarboosh Restaurant, where you can indulge in mouthwatering treats made with pistachios and other delightful ingredients.
- Visit historical sites. For history enthusiasts, there are fascinating historical sites to explore in Aqaba. Ayla Ruins, the first settlement of Aqaba, offers a glimpse into the city's past and is a must-visit attraction. Another important historic site is the Mamluk Castle, also known as Aqaba Fort, which dates back to the 12th century and plays a significant role in Arab history.
- Enjoy the beaches. Nature lovers can enjoy the beautiful beaches of Aqaba without breaking the bank. Berenice Beach Club is a popular spot to relax, swim in crystal-clear waters, and soak up the sun. The club offers several swimming pools, water sports activities, and breathtaking views of the Red Sea. Entry fee includes a towel, sun loungers, and even discounts on water sports.
- Explore the nightlife. In the evening, you can explore the bustling nightlife of Aqaba. The city comes alive with music, laughter, and a vibrant atmosphere. Visit the Souk by the Sea, a lively market event featuring local artisans, food, drinks, and live music. It's a great opportunity to support the local community and interact with friendly vendors.
With so many free things to do in Aqaba, you can enjoy a memorable vacation without straining your wallet. Whether exploring historical sites, indulging in delicious treats, or simply relaxing on the beach, Aqaba offers a fantastic budget-friendly experience for all travellers. 
Encouragement to plan a budget-friendly trip to Aqaba
If you're looking for a budget-friendly vacation destination, look no further than Aqaba, Jordan. This beautiful city on the Red Sea offers many attractions and activities that won't break the bank.
One of the main reasons to visit Aqaba is its affordability. From budget-friendly hotels and hostels to cheap eats and street food, Aqaba offers plenty of options for travellers on a tight budget. You can find a range of accommodations to suit different price ranges, from luxury resorts to more affordable hotels and hostels.
Getting around Aqaba is also cost-effective. You can choose from various modes of transportation, including renting bikes or simply walking. Exploring the city on foot or by bike allows you to experience its charm and discover hidden gems without spending a fortune.
In addition to budget-friendly accommodations and transportation, Aqaba also offers free things to do. You can relax on its beautiful public beaches, explore the local markets, or visit historical sites like the Aqaba Fort without spending a penny.
So why not plan a budget-friendly trip to Aqaba? With affordable accommodations, cost-effective transportation options, cheap eats, and free activities, Aqaba has everything you need for a memorable and wallet-friendly vacation. Don't miss out on the opportunity to experience the beauty and culture of Aqaba without breaking the bank.